We often hear people say that Mauritian, our national language, is too poor a medium to express complex and intricate thoughts. Is the language deficient or is it the native speaker who is at fault? Pa mwa sa, li sa! A chicken and egg argument. This week I have chosen to present my views in TWO creole languages: English, a world lingua-franca and Mauritian, a local lingua-franca. I leave it to the functionally literate readers in both languages to decide, not any foul-mouth Tom, Dick and Harry (‘pa nenport ki nenport ki koze pou labous pa pi’).
According to experts, global warming and climate change will make food security a worldwide problem. There are 4 aspects of the problem to consider.
1. The amount of food that must be produced to meet the growing needs of a growing world population when basic resources such as arable land and water are becoming scarce.
2. The right quantity and quality of food to keep people healthy and fight obesity and diabetes. Eating habits must change.
3. Intensive agriculture (monocrop and the use of chemical products) and animal breeding make the land poorer and poorer and less and less fertile. Production methods must change.
4. There is too much wastage. Reducing it is a question of do or die.
Instead of looking after nature as stewards of God, we have thoughtlessly decided to rip and rape Gaia, our Mother Nature, to satisfy our selfishness and greed. According to the Gaia hypothesis a point will be reached when, after prolonged suffering, Earth will hit back and the consequences will be devastating.
We have already been witnessing calamities linked to human errors (global warming, deforestation, destruction of bio-diversity) in the world and on our island. The floods in the north of Mauritius may have been caused by intensive de-rocking and levelling to facilitate mechanization and increase profits. Is nature hitting back? Are we blind?
Is humanity prepared to change lifestyle or will it simply follow the Trumps, Bibis, Modis and Bolsonaros on the road to extinction?
Tou bann exper dakor ki sofman global ek sanzman klimatik pou fer sekirite alimanter vinn enn mari problem mondial. Problem la ena 4 aspe.
1. Kantite manze ki bizen prodwir pou satisfer bezwen plizanpli gran enn popilasion mondial ki pa pe aret grandi kan resours bazik kouma later kiltivab ek dilo pe vinn plizanpli rar.
2. Kantite ek kalite manze ki nou bizen konsome pou nou pa tom malad e anmemtan konbat maladi kouma obezite ek jabet. Kiltir alimanter bizen sanze.
3. Lagrikiltir entansif (monokiltir ek itilizasion prodwi simik) ek lelvaz zanimo pe fer later perdi so lafors e so fertilite pe bese move kalite. Metod prodiksion bizen sanze.
4. Ena tro boukou gaspiyaz. Rediksion gaspiyaz li zordi enn kestion lavi-lamor.
Olie nou okip lanatir kouma dwatet, kouma veritab zardinie Bondie, san panse nou pe desir ek viol Gaia, Mama Later, pou satisfer nou prop zwisans, nou gourmandiz ek nou lanvi majakarro. Dapre ipotez Gaia, apre enn long period soufrans, Mama Later pou sap lor kal. Lerla bez lor baz!
Deza nou temwen dega koze par nou prop erer (sofman global, destriksion lafore ek biyo-diversite) dan lemonn e lor nou prop lil. Li bien posib ki inondasion dan lenor Moris li koze par tir ros dan karo ek met later plat pou fasilit mekanizasion e ogmant profi. Eski lanatir finn plen ar nou? Koumsa nou kaylous?
Eski dimoun lor later pare pou sanz zot manier ousa zot prefer swiv bann Trump, Modi, Bibi ek Bolsonaro lor sime ki al fini dan marenwar?